This MW, supported by COST action TD1409 MI-NET, and organized by the joint Doctoral School of Mathematics of the Universities of Trento and Verona, took place in Verona, from 4th to 10th September 2016 at the Department of Computer Science, and gathered PhD and master students in Mathematical Sciences coming from Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Serbia and Ukraine.
The participants were subdivided in five groups to work on different problems defined and supervised jointly by academic and industrial partners. The teams presented their results on saturday morning at the Conference room of Confindustria Verona , and some students felt enthusiastic about their MW experience, hear the interviews made by UniVRMagazine
The problems treated during this MW were
- a multiphysics problem, namely the simulation of particle accelerator cavities (instr. Carlo De Falco, Milan Polytechnic),
- optimization of a weekly standard schedule based on daily shift requirements and different labor contracts (instr. Ben Paoletti, Data Management),
- a math finance problem for banking, namely the backtesting of the new models imposed to banks for market risk, i.e. Expected Shortfall vs. Value at Risk (instr. Michele Bonollo, IASON Ltd),
- optimization in city-logistics: two routing problems related to procurement and waste separation and door-to-door garbage collection (instr. Renata Mansini and Daniele Manerba, Brescia University),
- simulation of fluid-dynamic and solute delivery in blood microvessel networks (instr. Paola Causin, University of Milan).